About the Environmental Stewardship Program
For those seeking cabinets manufactured with more eco-friendly practices, KCMA Environmental Stewardship Program (ESP) certification can help guide you to the right sources. Manufacturer certification is awarded annually based on compliance in five categories: air quality, product resource management, process resource management, environmental stewardship and community relations. It is the environmental certification program that specifically focuses on kitchen and bath cabinets
Introduced in 2006, KCMA developed the ESP to encourage practices that benefit the environment and communities served by cabinet manufacturers. The ESP goes beyond other environmental programs by taking a holistic approach to certification, holding the industry to high standards for their products, forest sustainability and manufacturing processes. The voluntary certification program provides a tangible way for cabinet manufacturers to demonstrate their commitment to sustainability.
What are the values embedded in ESP certification?
ESP certification reflects the following beliefs:
- Forests not only provide outstanding environmental benefits, but also provide an array of renewable wood products and derivatives
- We encourage the continued and expanded use of forest products
- We are committed to promoting conservation and the intelligent use of our natural resources
- We support and encourage responsible forest management practices that promote sustainability and result in long-term economic and environmental benefits
- We are committed to educating our members and customers in the global wood products community about environmental and forestry issues
What are the benefits of ESP participation?
In addition to helping ensure the future of both the environment and the cabinet manufacturing industry, ESP-certified manufacturers enjoy the following benefits:
- The status and prestige of participating in a program setting new standards in sustainability. Recognition on the KCMA website. Technical advice and assistance from KCMA staff to help keep companies in compliance, or in case of failure, assist in returning companies to compliance
- Use of the ESP seal for display on cabinets as well as in advertising & promotional literature. The ESP program is periodically audited by ANSI for program compliance
- The ESP program gained further credibility by its reference in the ANSI-approved ICC 700 National Green Building Standards, the benchmark in green building standards
5 Reasons You Should Purchase from an ESP Manufacturer:
- Air Quality – ESP certified cabinets are made with materials and finishes that greatly reduce emissions from the cabinets
- Product Resource Management – The materials used in making the cabinets are sourced in an environmentally friendly way
- Process Resource Management – In making the cabinets the process is environmentally friendly. Process waste is tracked, reduced, and recycled and there is a focus on energy conservation.
- Environmental Stewardship – The manufacturer has a written policy statement concerning a firm commitment to environmental quality. In addition, the facility may have an environmental management system, requires review of vendor’s environmental policies, uses renewable/recycled materials, and ships cabinets through an EPA SmartWay Transport partner.
- Community Relations – The manufacturer has a commitment to the community through service and/or charitable giving.