21 May 5 Tips for Eco-Friendly Kitchen Remodeling
Today’s top priority for many homeowners planning bath and kitchen remodeling in Denver is to implement eco-friendly materials that are functional, effective and diminish environmental impact. Since kitchens and bathrooms are the most active rooms in the home as far as energy consumption, choosing eco-friendly cabinets, countertops and energy efficient appliances goes a long way toward efficient green living.
- Kitchen Cabinets – Select kitchen cabinets from manufacturers that are certified by the Environmental Stewardship Program of the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association (KCMA). Cabinets made by these companies use eco-friendly materials and finishes with limited emissions. Cabinet manufacturers like Crystal Cabinet Works and Medallion Cabinetry use woods certified by the Forest Stewardship Council, environmentally safe laminates and recycled materials.
- Countertops – Several kitchen countertops offer sustainable materials, such as Icestone and Vetrazzo, which are produced with recycled glass. Other countertop choices include Richlite, which is made with recycled paper and Caesarstone, which is created with natural quartz. Also, check your local design centers for TorZo countertops, which are manufactured with natural agricultural materials.
- Energy Saving Appliances – Look for the Energy Star label on dishwashers, refrigerators, ovens and disposals when remodeling your kitchen. Using less water, electricity and gas not only saves utility costs but also has less of an impact on the environment.
- Renewable Flooring – When replacing your kitchen flooring, try to reuse the existing subfloor and choose flooring manufactured with low-formaldehyde. Ask the advice of your local kitchen remodeling professionals for the best renewable flooring and eco-friendly floors for kitchen use.
- Lighting – Replace your old light fixtures with energy saving products that use energy-efficient bulbs. Try to install plenty of windows for natural daylight and air ventilation, cutting down on the need for air conditioning. Also, install window shades for controlling summer heat from direct sunlight.
If you’re thinking of kitchen remodeling, contact us at BKC Kitchen and Bath and our product specialists can help you create an eco-friendly kitchen with top-quality products and outstanding service.